CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mock Rock Investigation

I explained that geologists use special tools such as picks to take apart rocks to observe what they are made of. We used a nail and explain that served as their geologist's pick in this activity. We discussed the difference between a rock and a mineral. The kids had a blast and couldn't wait to take home their baggies of what they discovered. :)










They start with observations because when they test the rock, the rocks is usually changed in some way, and geologists want to be able to compare the change with the rock before the test. I explained that Mrs. P had made a simulation of real rocks. Their challenge was to describe the rock in detail so that later, if the rock was changed in any way, they will have a record to refer to. We made surface observations and magnified our observations using magnifying glasses. Our next challenge was to separate and identify as many of the ingredients as we could inside our mock rocks.



In order for the students to understand who geologists are and how they study the materials that make up planet Earth, I introduced them to mock rocks. I made the rocks before Christmas break to ensure they would be dry and hardened for this lab. I explained to the students that geologists make detailed observations of the rocks they want to study.





0 comments:

Post a Comment