We've been learning about the taxes imposed by the King on the colonists. I wanted the students to understand how the colonists felt so I set up a little exercise involving the candy, Skittles. Each student was given a pack of Skittles and each time I imposed a new tax, if that tax applied to them, they had to pay me with some Skittles. For example, if you are the youngest child in your family, you owed me 4 Skittles. Of course you can imagine how quickly the students became enraged and upset over these new taxes in my classroom. :) By the end of the exercise the students were able to relate to the colonists so many years ago over their unfair taxes imposed by the King.
Friday, December 16, 2011
No Taxation Without Representation
We've been learning about the taxes imposed by the King on the colonists. I wanted the students to understand how the colonists felt so I set up a little exercise involving the candy, Skittles. Each student was given a pack of Skittles and each time I imposed a new tax, if that tax applied to them, they had to pay me with some Skittles. For example, if you are the youngest child in your family, you owed me 4 Skittles. Of course you can imagine how quickly the students became enraged and upset over these new taxes in my classroom. :) By the end of the exercise the students were able to relate to the colonists so many years ago over their unfair taxes imposed by the King.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment